Do you have a website and want more traffic? If that’s the case, link building is an important part of your SEO (search engine optimization). In this article, we’ll discuss how to create links with expired domain names and give you tips and tricks to get you started. Sounds interesting? Then you should definitely read on.
A good link from another website to yours gives you two important benefits:
• Quality links connect directly from another site to yours, generating more traffic.
• High-quality links ensure a better position in search engines and thus build up more traffic.
There are several ways to get quality links to your site. One of them is through expired domain names. For the remainder of this article, we’ll refer to your own website as the “primary website.”
Many companies have successfully purchased and used canceled domains in the past. Such a domain name already has content, inbound links, history and authority, giving you a good foundation to build on and saving you a lot of valuable time.
Note that Google has become increasingly critical of link building in recent years, making it more difficult than before. However, it can still be a very useful tactic in your SEO strategy if you know what to do and what to look out for.
WHERE DO YOU FIND OR BUY EXPIRED DOMAIN NAMES WITH AUTHORITY?
On catchtiger.com you can find a list of all domain names of various ccTLDs that are going to be phased out in the domain name auction directory. For your convenience, relevant data is collected for each domain name. This will help you assess whether a domain name is suitable for link building. When you have found a domain name, you can place a bid.
After the auction ends, CatchTiger attempts to register the domain name (this process is also called drop catching). But how do you know which domain name is good for link building and which is not?
CHOOSE THE RIGHT DOMAIN NAME FOR LINK BUILDING AND TRAFFIC
Choosing the right domain name is very important. After all, you want a return on your investment and not a penalty from the top search engines. Below are some points to consider when buying a domain name with authority for more traffic and a better position in the search engines.
1. Find a domain name relevant to your primary website. You can do this by going to Catchtiger.com and using the search function where you type in a keyword. You will immediately receive a list of approved domain names with the keyword of your choice. If the right keyword isn’t in the list, you can always add a free alert on that keyword. If you do this, you will automatically receive an email when a domain name with this keyword is added to the list of auctioned domain names.
2. Once you find the right domain name, see how much domain authority the site has. You can easily see this in the CatchTiger expert overview. The higher the authority, the greater the likelihood of traffic.
3. Other ratings that are commonly used to verify domain name authority, and which also verify that that authority has “quality” are the Majestic Trust Flow and the Majestic Citation Flow. Both ratings can be found in the CatchTiger expert overview. Trust flow / citation flow is called the trust ratio. If a website has many incoming links (high citation flow) from unreliable sources (low trust flow), the trust ratio is very low. A high trust ratio means higher quality inbound links.
4. If the authority and trust relationship is good, you can look at the number of backlinks. You can easily find these in the CatchTiger expert overview. The more backlinks, the greater the chance of traffic and authority.
5. Do you want to know how long a website has been active under the domain name? Then look at the results from archive.org. The higher the archive score, the more often the website is indexed on the archive.org domain and the longer it is active. Also, on the archive.org website, you can see what the website looked like and whether it was a “real” company.
Do you want to research the domain name beyond the reviews you can find on CatchTiger before buying them for traffic or link building? Then look at the following points:
1. Once you have found a correct domain name, make sure it is indexed by Google by searching Google for “site: http://www.examplesite.com”. In addition, you can also search for “http://www.examplesite.com” to see how often Google finds this domain name on other websites.
2. Check if the domain name has a “spam” score. You can check this with the free tool opensiteexplorer.org. The higher the spam score, the greater the likelihood of inbound links from spam websites.
3. Check on Google if there is any negative publicity regarding the brand.
If all the above points are positive, you can enter the domain name auction. Auctions start at €25. If the highest bidder is known, CatchTiger will attempt to register the domain name for you. When this is achieved, then it’s time for the next step.
HOW DO YOU USE THE DOMAIN NAME FOR MORE TRAFFIC AND A BETTER POSITION IN SEARCH ENGINES?
You can use a domain name in two ways. The first and easiest way is a 301 redirect to your own primary site or an underlying secondary site (within a network).
A major disadvantage of this is that the link value decreases over time. And with it, the value of your domain also decreases. This can provide a boost in the short term, but is not suitable for the long term, so we do not recommend it.
In addition, it is very important that the domain name that you link directly to your primary website is of good quality. This will prevent your primary website from getting contaminated links.
A better way to use your purchased domain name is to create relevant content. Please note that search engines are not fans of link networks. So, to get the maximum result, you need to be more creative.
Create a secondary or tertiary website using your purchased domain names. By doing this, you build a pyramid of websites that aim to improve the primary website in search engines and generate more traffic. Below are a few steps to set up your own network:
1. Use the best and cleanest domain names (that meet the points discussed earlier) to create a secondary website with unique content relevant to your primary website.
2. In addition to the fact that your domain name has received a decent boost because it already has authority, it is advisable to keep that authority intact and improve it as much as possible. Good options include writing guest blogs, subscribing to quality directories, forums, etc. If you are interested in a good overview of SEO link building strategies, check out Creative ICT’s Link Building Strategy 2017 blog.
3. When you have a number of quality secondary websites that link to your primary website, it’s time to build your tertiary network. Again, you’re using shared domain names that already have value. For your tertiary network, you can use lower authority domain names, of which more are available. Please note that it is important that they are “clean” domain names that meet the points previously discussed.
4. On your tertiary websites, create mini-sites or blogs with content relevant to your primary website. Then link this tertiary site to your secondary sites.
If you want to go beyond that, it’s also possible to build a quaternary network. The following are some of the key points when setting up your own network:
1. Start by creating a blueprint of your network that will help you choose the right domain names and give you an overview.
2. Make sure you are always in control of the connections between the different networks. If one of your websites gets a Google Penalty, you can simply remove this link.
3. Try hosting different websites in different locations so they don’t connect through a shared hosting IP address. Another option is to use SEO hosting. This is a service where each website is hosted on a unique IP address, meaning they are not connected to each other. Would you like more information about this? Then look at http://www.privateproxys.nl.
Using expired domain names is an excellent way to boost your primary website and is a great addition to your overall SEO strategy.
In addition, building your own website network can also be relevant for third parties. You may place link requests on secondary or tertiary websites in exchange for someone else’s links.
However, remember that building your own network of websites is a time-consuming task. You need a good plan to get the right domain names, create good content, and rank for the right keywords.
Do you have questions about buying SEO domain names? Contact us today and we will help you.